TGIF… it’s the Friday before the holidays!!
Just want to send out a new tip I learned for managing anxiety.
I’m studying up for my Integrative Yoga Therapy Teacher training in January and have been studying yoga for anxiety.
This breath technique is pretty cool, I’ve already been using it with patients who have stress, anxiety and panic disorder.
- Take a proper deep breath (where your belly expands).
- Hold the breath.
- Pull in your stomach, as if you are trying to suck in your stomach, but using your muscles, not your breath (because your lungs are still full of air).
- Hold stomach in for a moment.
- Release Stomach.
- Exhale fully (extra push at the end, like your blowing up a ballon).
- Repeat 2-3 times then return to normal breathing for a few moments.
- Repeat practice 5 times.
- Enjoy the sensations as your body relaxes.
I like this one for people with higher stress and anxiety. Adding the muscle practice increases the speed of relaxation and it also provides more focus, which helps with the scattered thinking.
It can feel a bit awkward at first, practice it a few times before you decide to keep it in your toolbox or not:)
Here’s to a calmer, happier, stress-free you this season!
Sending you good energy,